READ FIELDHOUSE / UNIVERSITY ARENA
The Western Michigan men's and women's basketball squads, volleyball team, indoor track and field and gymnastics squad all compete in the renovated University Arena (5,421) in Read Fieldhouse, which was part of a $50 million renovation and expansion project of student recreation, physical education and intercollegiate athletic facilities (1994).
The most recent construction offered a multitude of new features for Bronco student-athletes, staff and fans. The court was rotated to allow the installation of more chairback seating and the overhead press area was moved to courtside, providing media members easier access .
Three floors of offices were added adjacent to the area to house a majority of the WMU athletic administration, support and coaching staffs.
Also included in the new wing were top-level locker rooms for numerous sports. The third floor of the complex provides exclusive space for the women's gymnastics squad to train.
The academic services center, equipment and training rooms are also located in the building, centralizing a majority of the department's activities.
In a continued effort to make University Arena a place for everyone to enjoy, the summer of 1999 saw a project completed that included the resurfacing of the court. The entire floor was repainted, including a pair of new Bronco logos on both sides of the court.
In the summer of 2010 a $525,000 renovation took place resulting in the resurfacing of the indoor track and replacement of baseline bleachers. The new track surface comes from the world renowned company Mondo, with $400,000 going towards the new surface.
Read first opened for men's basketball in December, 1957. It was officially named in honor of legendary coach Herbert "Buck" Read during a 1963 game against defending NCAA Champion Loyola.
The winningest coach in program history, Read coached the Broncos to an overall record of 345-169 during his 27-year tenure. Amazingly, 23 of those squads compiled winning records, including an undefeated (17-0) campaign in 1929-30.